Last Updated on September 4, 2020 by Mayank
How To Format Laptop
Viruses, malware and other troublesome threats will cause real injury to the OS and functionality of your hardware. Judging by the number of antivirus programs available nowadays, the chance of your PC being injured or effected by one or a lot of of those external threats is high. Format your portable computer or desktop computer creates a “clean slate” on which you can restore your OS. It ensures that issues your PC developed are gone. Formatting is additionally helpful if you are selling your PC and would like to get rid of personal data before the dealings. The most effective part ? Learning how to format laptop is comparatively easy.
There are 2 sorts of formatting. the primary is that the system drive (defaults to disk C) formatting. generally after entering the operating system. You’re unable to format system disk directly, and you can only reach it in the process of installing an operating system. The second is for non system disk (i.e. D , E or F etc.) format. once turning on PC, simply right-click on the disk and choose format. Note the contents of the disk are gone and can’t be recovered rapidly. So make sure you take a backup before beginning to format your PC or laptop.
- Step 1. Click on Start menu on bottom left corner or press the winows key on keyboard, then click the gear icon to open Settings.
- Step 2. On Settings home page, select Update & Security tab , and then click Recovery tab option from the panel.
- Step 3. Check the options available :
- Reset this PC: This is the option that we need exactly , but you should check the other ones also.
- Advanced startup: It will have a lot of sub-options
- More recovery options: Start fresh (new) with a clean installation of new Windows (any version).
- Back up your files: Backup to another drive.
- Step 4. Click start button below Reset this computer,after that you will see these two options below.
- Keep my files: It remove apps and settings, but keep your personal files safe in the pc .
- Remove everything:It will Delete all of your personal files, apps and settings immediately (your pc or laptop will be cleaned completely) .
- Step 5. Complete the process of erasing data .
- While continuing towards the data formatting method of the pc,, you will get the two options: first – Just remove my files and second -Remove and clean my drive after clicking on the option “Remove everything”.
- Just remove my files option gives a choice to the user to recover the media and files from the drive of the computer later onn also .
- If the user is merchandising his pc or giving it to anyone else to be used, then the data is at risk as the third person can easily recover all those files and data from the drive which are your personal things . This makes this option very risky.
- Remove files and clean my drive is long however fully safe as It removes all the data and files from the system thoroughly including the drive data . However,it is a time consuming process to remove all the data from the drive.
- Step 6. Click Next once the OS asks for confirmation, then choose Reset button.
Method 2. How to Format Laptop Windows 7 with the Repair Disc
- Step 1. Start your PC or laptop and click on Control Panel > Backup and Restore > Create system repair disc.
- Step 2. Insert a Compact Disk (CD) into your laptop and click “Create disc” and then select “Close” and “OK” options.
- Step 3. Press F10 or F12 keys to enter into the boot menu and select the CD as a boot device adn then click “Enter” and “Next”, then select your windows system “Use recovery tools that can help to fix problems with starting Windows”.
- Step 4. Click “Next” and “Command Prompt”. Enter “Format c:/fs:NTFS” and begin to format system disk of your pc .
Method 3. Format Laptop Installation by USB/CD (Windows 7/8/10)
- Step 1. Press the “Delete” key to get into the BIOS when starting your laptop (while booting process). Select “Advanced BIOS Features” from the list and then set the First Boot Device to CDROM. and then click Y button to save and exit the setup.
- Step 2. After that Insert the Windows USB or CD into your Pc or Laptop , and enter “DOS”.
- Step 3. Type “format C:/” within the DOS prompt and press Y key to complete data formatting.
- Step 4. After data formatting, insert your own Windows 7/8/10 system disk (CD boot) and follow the instructions to install.
Method 4. How to Format Laptop Without Windows Installation USB/CD
- Step 1. Start your computer, then press F8 key or F11 key on keyboard before Windows loads.
- Step 2. Click “Next” to enter System Recovery. There are two options for choose. If you have got already backed data up your data , a Destructive Recovery will help you get a brand-new laptop.
- Step 3. The application will format and restart your laptop.